Waterford School is Utah’s premier liberal arts, college preparatory private school for students in Preschool through High School. Student learning is Waterford School’s reason for being. Since its founding, the School has instilled habits of independent thought, critical thinking, responsibility, passionate learning, and service to others. Waterford School’s liberal arts program provides a strong foundation, and the campus culture prepares students to pursue lives of meaning and purpose. Waterford delivers a world-class education distinguished by a rich curriculum, an outstanding faculty, a deep commitment to student growth, and a learning environment that is caring, nurturing, and inspiring.
Math tutoring involves one-on-one tutoring with students in Waterford Middle School and Waterford Upper School. Tutoring sessions usually occur two times per week. Sessions are 40-60 minutes, and take place both during school and after school hours Monday through Friday. The tutoring position includes the following expectations:
- Upper level mathematics skills. Tutors are required to take a competency test that will determine the level of math tutoring from the listed course: Pre-Algebra, Algebra, Geometry, Algebra 2, Pre-Calculus, Trigonometry, Calculus, and Statistics.
- Daily lesson plans that focus on individual student needs. Plans include building foundational skills outlined by student evaluation as well as review of current class material to be determined by curriculum guides. The tutor must establish a balance between building foundational skills and teaching methods to support current curriculum needs in order to help students find success in math. Clearly, effective tutoring is not just supporting current homework assignments, but teaching so that the student can eventually find independent success with math skills in place.
- Communication with students’ parents and current math teacher. Tutors are required to write two reports each term. The midterm report is brief, and its purpose is to establish goals, while the end of term report is more comprehensive and informative. Reports are shared with parents, school deans, and math teachers.
- A willingness to learn the skills necessary for maintaining Google Drive folders for all students and becoming proficient in working with Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Calendar.
- Tutors are required to check Canvas, the online grading system that Waterford utilizes, frequently for updates to students' academic progress, messages from teachers, and so forth.
- Attendance at weekly tutor meetings
- Training in the fall by the Math Department Chair
Position will immediately start with up to 28 hours per week
The Waterford campus is set on 41 acres at the foot of Utah’s Wasatch Mountains, one of North America’s premier outdoor and recreational areas. The school offers an outstanding working environment. The atmosphere is collegial; both families and faculty show a genuine commitment to learning.
For more information about the school, please go to www.waterfordschool.org.
Qualified candidates should forward a resume and letter of interest, by email to email@example.com. Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line.