The Outdoor Program offers wilderness-based Summer trips each year that range from backpacking, mountaineering, canyoneering, kayaking and sailing expeditions. Open to all students in the Middle or Upper School, these trips run from 8 to 21 days and aim to provide an impactful wilderness adventure in which students learn fundamental leadership, community- living and technical skills. In addition, students gain first-hand experience with the natural and cultural history of the course area. Please follow the links below to discover more about specific Spring and Summer trips.
Outdoor Program Summer 2022 Offerings
MS Outdoor: Canoeing in the Boundary Waters - Northern MN
- Trip Leaders: Mr. Waterhouse
- Cost: ~$1900 (VII-VIII) / ~$3300 (IX-XII). 50% Deposit due in January and the balance due in March.
- Dates: June 18-24 (for current classes VII-VIII) and June 18-July 1 (for current IX-XII)
- Current Classes: VII-XII
- Group size limit due to permits: 7 students VII-VIII and 7 students IX-XII
- Nota bene: We have a bit of a unique set up this year, running 2 trips that overlap at the start and are going to the same place, but the older students stay a week longer than the younger ones.
- Description: One night in Minneapolis, then 2 nights at a YMCA camp for basic canoe training and practice, gear packing, and general preparation. Then a multi-day (3 day/2 night or 10/9 night day) canoe trip into the Boundary Waters Wilderness Area, a 1 million acre preserve that National Geographic Traveler named one of its "50 Places of a Lifetime" to visit. Both groups will camp in the wilderness, paddling 6-10 miles per day. Swim in pristine lakes. Portage canoes from lake to lake. And experience wilderness unlike anything in Utah. The final night will be back at the YMCA camp with a banquet and a bonfire.
All travelers must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Application form
Previous Spring, Term and Summer Trips
- US Outdoor Backcountry Ski Tour 2021
- US Uinta Mountains Fall Climb 2020
- US Zion Canyoneering 2019
- US Alaska Mountaineering and Sea Kayaking 2019
- MS Escalante Canyoneering 2019
- MS Slovenia 2018
- US Washington Wanderlust 2018
- US King's Peak 2017
- US Uinta Multi-Sport 2017
- US Africa: Summit to Safari, 2016
- MS Iceland: Land of Fire & Ice, 2016
- US Ultimate Oregon Expedition: Rafting, Climbing and Mountaineering, Summer 2015
- US Desert Solitude: Rafting, Climbing and Canyoneering, Summer 2015
- MS Zion Spring Break 2015
- Teton Adventure, Summer 2014
- South Pacific Sailing Odyssey, Summer 2014
- Zion Canyoneering, Summer 2013
- Arctic Dreaming: Norway, Summer 2012
- Mt. Whitney Mountaineering, Summer 2012
- City of Rocks, Summer 2011
- British Columbia Sailing Expedition, Summer 2010
- Grand-Staircase Escalante Canyoneering, Summer 2010
- Class IX Interim Trips, Summer 2009 – 2010