Safety and Security Director
The Waterford School, a PreK – 12 independent school serving 920 students in suburban Salt Lake City, is seeking a Safety & Security Director beginning Summer 2018. Waterford School offers a broad, college-preparatory liberal arts program that emphasizes the fine arts in conjunction with the traditional academic disciplines and athletics.
Summary Description. This position oversees and directs all Waterford School safety-related operations to help keep students and adults safe. Approximately half of the working hours will be spent specifically on Security duties and half on Safety responsibilities.
Minimum Job Requirements. Ten or more years of work experience in commercial or school security, law enforcement, or similar experience; ability to work well with adults & students of all ages; become licensed Security Officer in Utah.
Essential duties and further details
- Provide visible School Security duties; patrol campus buildings and grounds
- Help protect students and adults from various dangers; focus on prevention
- Work collaboratively with local public safety and law enforcement
- Develop a trustworthy relationship with Waterford adults and students
- Be visible within the school community and help maintain a safe and friendly environment
- Demonstrate the ability to apply critical thinking skills in all situations
- Communicate regularly with various school constituencies
- Direct all safety-related and emergency preparedness planning and instruction
- Help develop proactive preventative crisis/crime prevention and response plans
- Organize drills including fire, earthquake, and shelter in place
- Assist with facilities security systems, door locks, programming key FOBs, fire alarms, and similar duties relating to building and grounds
- Lead and train on campus physical safety requirements, including OSHA
- Remain up to date on safety and security techniques, policies, and procedures
Hours. 40 to 50 hours per week for the 9.5 months of school; 20 hours per week during the 2.5 months of summer, and 20 hours per week during the two, 2-week school breaks.
Compensation. Salary for this exempt position is based on experience and qualifications. Benefits include a retirement plan, health insurance, and a pleasant working environment.
For more information, please go to www.waterfordschool.org.
Qualified candidates should forward a resume and letter of interest, by email to
Office of the Head of School