Middle School / Upper School Counselor
Waterford School is Utah’s premier liberal arts, college preparatory private school for students in Preschool through High School. Student learning is Waterford School’s reason for being. Since its founding, the School has instilled habits of independent thought, critical thinking, responsibility, passionate learning, and service to others. Waterford School’s liberal arts program provides a strong foundation, and the campus culture prepares students to pursue lives of meaning and purpose. Waterford delivers a world-class education distinguished by a rich curriculum, an outstanding faculty, a deep commitment to student growth, and a learning environment that is caring, nurturing, and inspiring.
The Middle/Upper School Counselor reports to the Associate Head of School. In alignment with the Waterford mission to provide a world-class liberal arts education, the Counselor helps students develop resilience and adopt healthy coping strategies for success in school and life. The Counselor supports and guides students in areas of wellness, emotional challenge, social competencies and overall well-being.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Guide and implement a balanced school counseling program that focuses on and promotes student wellbeing and success.
- Collaborate with parents to support student mental health concerns
- Recommend outside learning assessments as needed and interpret results for families and teachers
- Develop Student Profiles (Waterford’s IEP equivalent) for students with significant learning differences providing strategies for classroom success
- Collaborate School Nurse/Wellness Coordinator to develop effective wellness programming
- Respond to acute mental and emotional health needs of students, and recommend outside follow-up as needed
- Meet weekly with Dean of Students to discuss strategies to support student needs
- Be a resource for teachers working with students of concern
- Keep accurate, detailed and confidential files on all student needs including notes of all conversations with students, individual and group discussions
Qualifications and Skills
- PhD in School Psychology or Clinical Psychology
- Proven working experience in school counseling
- Working knowledge of various counseling models, practices and resources
- Integrity and professionalism
- Sound judgement and emotional intelligence
- Ability to respond effectively to the needs of a student population ranging in age from 11-18 years.
- Engaging interpersonal skills and excellent communication skills including student assembly presentations and large parent gatherings
- Ability to collect and analyze data
- Strong writing skills
The Waterford campus is set on 45 acres at the foot of Utah’s Wasatch Mountains, one of North America’s premier outdoor and recreational areas. The school offers an outstanding working environment. The atmosphere is collegial; both families and faculty show a genuine commitment to learning. Benefits include medical, dental, 403(b).
For more information about the school, please go to www.waterfordschool.org.
Qualified candidates should forward a résumé and letter of interest, by email, or fax, to