Middle School/ Upper School Reading/ Writing Tutor Job
Reading/ Writing tutoring involves one-on-one tutoring with students in Waterford Middle School and Waterford Upper School. Tutoring sessions usually occur two - three times per week. Sessions are 50-60 minutes, and take place both during school and after school hours Monday through Friday. The tutoring position includes the following expectations:
- Ability to teach comprehension strategies to support students’ required reading in English and History classes and to support students in writing analytical essays
- Willingness to be trained in specific reading programs- Wilson Reading System, Just Words, Higher Steps
- Develop and follow daily lesson plans that focus on individual student needs. Plans include building foundational skills outlined by student evaluation as well as review of current class material to be determined by curriculum guides. The tutor must establish a balance between building foundational skills and teaching methods to support current curriculum needs in order to help students find success in English and History. Clearly, effective tutoring is not just supporting current homework assignments, but teaching so that the student can eventually find independent success with reading and writing skills in place.
- Communication with students’ parents and current English and History teachers. Tutors are required to write two reports each term. The midterm report is brief, and its purpose is to establish goals, while the end of term report is more comprehensive and informative. Reports are shared with parents, school deans and English and History teachers.
- A willingness to learn the skills necessary to maintaining Google Drive folders for all students and to becoming proficient in working with Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Calendar.
- Tutors are required to check Canvas, the online grading system that Waterford utilizes, frequently for updates to students' academic progress, messages from teachers, and so forth.
- Attendance at weekly tutor meetings
- Training in the fall by the Reading Specialist and the English Department Head
Qualified candidates should forward a résumé and letter of interest, by email, fax, or post, to
Executive Assistant, Office of the Head of School
1480 East 9400 South, Sandy, UT 84093