Middle and Upper School Band Teacher and Director of Band Programs
Waterford School is Utah’s premier liberal arts, college preparatory private school for students in Preschool through High School. Student learning is Waterford School’s reason for being. Since its founding, the School has instilled habits of independent thought, critical thinking, responsibility, passionate learning, and service to others. A commitment to equity, inclusion, and belonging is essential to the Waterford mission. The school’s liberal arts program provides a strong foundation, and the campus culture prepares students to pursue lives of meaning and purpose. Waterford delivers a world-class education distinguished by a rich curriculum, an outstanding faculty, a deep commitment to student growth, and a learning environment that is caring, nurturing, and inspiring.
We are seeking a candidate The Waterford School seeks a Middle and Upper School Band Teacher who will also be the Director of Band Programs from Class V through Class XII. In the Band Director role, the candidate will lead a group of sectional teachers in designing and developing curriculum that will produce passionate and excellent band performance at all divisions of the school. In the MS/US Teacher role, the candidate will teach up to 4 courses working with students in Class VI through Class XII. The candidate will also design and mentor a LS program introducing Class V students to brass and woodwinds instruments, and to the overall band program.
General responsibilities include:
- Teaching classes in the Middle and Upper School
- Designing and mentoring a Lower School introductory winds/brass program
- Teaching Class VI beginning band, Middle School band with an emphasis on Jazz
- Teaching Upper School Jazz band
- Exploring new ways to advance the music curriculum
- Collaborating with the Orchestra Director
- Starting a Pep Band
- Fostering a love of music
- Fostering a climate of respect for each child as an individual
- Identifying and pursuing professional opportunities that enhance and extend one’s teaching
- Participating in all require school events
Successful candidates will possess the following qualifications and competencies:
- A Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Music Education or Performance
- 5 years teaching experience at a Middle School or High school
- Experience arranging music for small and large ensembles
- Strong commitment to students with all learning styles
- Ability to inspire students love of learning
- Passion for music education
The Waterford campus is set on 45 acres at the foot of Utah’s Wasatch Mountains, one of North America’s premier outdoor and recreational areas. The school offers an outstanding working environment. The atmosphere is collegial; both families and faculty show a genuine commitment to learning. Benefits include medical, dental, 403(b).
For more information about the school, please go to www.waterfordschool.org.
Qualified candidates should forward a résumé and letter of interest, by email, or fax, to