Waterford School is Utah’s premier liberal arts, college preparatory private school for students in Preschool through High School. Student learning is Waterford School’s reason for being. Since its founding, the School has instilled habits of independent thought, critical thinking, responsibility, passionate learning, and service to others. A commitment to equity, inclusion, and belonging is essential to the Waterford mission. Waterford School’s liberal arts program provides a strong foundation, and the campus culture prepares students to pursue lives of meaning and purpose. Waterford delivers a world-class education distinguished by a rich curriculum, an outstanding faculty, a deep commitment to student growth, and a learning environment that is caring, nurturing, and inspiring.
Waterford School is looking for a Physical Education teacher for the Lower School. The successful candidate will be able to develop a healthy rapport with Lower School students and families, work collaboratively with colleagues and will embrace Waterford School’s mission, vision, and core values.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Plan and implement developmentally appropriate Physical Education lessons for all students in Kindergarten to Fifth Grade, understanding their developmental capacities (physical, social, cognitive).
- Develop classroom management strategies that create a safe social and physical learning environment, where risk-taking is encouraged; respect for students of varying abilities and backgrounds is taught and modeled; and cooperation, problem-solving, and sportsmanship skills are taught.
- Demonstrate, explain, and analyze basic movement skills and sports skills, working with students of all ability levels and interests. Passion to work with, motivate, and develop positive relationships with students that show less interest in sports and/or physical activity.
- Implement state standards and provide instruction that promotes all skill development, knowledge and reasoning.
- Develop and teach a wide variety of units, with the goal of reaching all students’ interests at some point during the school year. This includes teaching traditional team sports (soccer, basketball, volleyball) and non-traditional sports (traverse rock wall, ultimate Frisbee, juggling)
- Plan and organize an end-of-year field day for Kindergarten to Fifth grade students, utilizing and working with parent volunteers to staff the event.
- Throughout the year, work with teachers to provide PE activity that relates to historical studies (e.g., Ancient Greek Olympics, Rome Day, Egypt Day)
- Stamina, patience, passion, and perseverance are important assets, as the PE teacher will teach multiple classes per week across the grade levels.
- Complete progress reports on all students taught.
- Additional responsibilities might include, after school athletic programming organization and development.
The Waterford campus is set on 41 acres at the foot of Utah’s Wasatch Mountains, one of North America’s premier outdoor and recreational areas. The school offers an outstanding working environment. The atmosphere is collegial; both families and faculty show a genuine commitment to learning. Benefits include medical, dental, 403(b).
For more information about the school, please go to www.waterfordschool.org.
Qualified candidates should forward a résumé and letter of interest, by email, or fax, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line.