Waterford School is Utah’s premier liberal arts, college preparatory private school for students in Preschool through High School. Student learning is Waterford School’s reason for being. Since its founding, the School has instilled habits of independent thought, critical thinking, responsibility, passionate learning, and service to others. A commitment to equity, inclusion, and belonging is essential to the Waterford mission. Waterford School’s liberal arts program provides a strong foundation, and the campus culture prepares students to pursue lives of meaning and purpose. Waterford delivers a world-class education distinguished by a rich curriculum, an outstanding faculty, a deep commitment to student growth, and a learning environment that is caring, nurturing, and inspiring.
The Human Resource Director assists and collaborates in all human resource functions ensuring legal compliance and implementation of the organization's core mission and talent strategy. This full-time, year-round position reports to the CFO. The successful candidate will be able to develop a healthy rapport and work collaboratively with colleagues and will embrace Waterford School’s mission, vision, and values in their work and membership in the community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees the daily workflow of HR functions
- Collaborates with senior leadership to understand the organization's goals and strategy related to staffing, recruiting, retention, including diversity, equity and inclusion goals
- Assists in recruiting, some interviewing, hiring, and training of new employees
- Directs employee benefit programs and reviews proposed changes with plan administrators, consultants, and senior leadership
- Develops and executes best practices for hiring and talent management
- Assists in the administration of human resource functions including, but not limited to, training and background checks; compensation, benefits, and leave; employee handbook; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; training and development; and filing insurance claims
- Collaborates with senior leadership to monitor and help ensure compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws/regulations and recommend best practices; reviews and proposes modifications to policies and practices, as necessary, to maintain compliance; consults with outside legal counsel as directed by senior leadership
- Performs other duties as needed by the school
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to adapt to the needs of the organization and employees
- Ability to prioritize tasks, to delegate when appropriate and meet deadlines
- Working knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations
- Proficiency with or the ability to quickly learn the organization’s HRIS and other systems or software
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Many key skills can be learned on the job and will be enhanced with future training
Education and Experience:
- Five years of human resource management experience required
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources preferred
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP preferred but not required
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion experience preferred but not required
- Must satisfy a reference check and criminal background check
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk using a computer; lift 15 pounds; and work on campus
The Waterford campus is set on 45 acres at the foot of Utah’s Wasatch Mountains, one of North America’s premier outdoor and recreational areas. The school offers an outstanding working environment. The atmosphere is collegial; both families and faculty show a genuine commitment to learning. Benefits include medical, dental, 403(b).
Waterford School is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged. For more information about the school, please go to www.waterfordschool.org.
Qualified candidates should forward a résumé and letter of interest, by email, or fax, to: