Foreign Language Tutor Job Description
French, Spanish, and Chinese tutoring involve one-on-one tutoring with students in The Waterford Upper School. Tutoring sessions usually occur two-three times per week. Sessions are 50-60 minutes, and take place both during school and after school hours Monday through Friday. Tutor responsibilities include the following:
- Training as designed by the Foreign Language Department Chair
- Background in French, Spanish, or Chinese
- Developing and following daily lesson plans that focus on individual student needs and build strategies in foreign language acquisition. Plans include building foundational skills outlined by student evaluation as well as review of current class material to be determined by curriculum guides. Clearly, effective tutoring is not just supporting current homework assignments, but teaching so that the student can eventually find independent success.
- Topics determined by the curriculum guides, teacher input, and current materials being used by the student. Stress is placed on a kinesthetic, multi-sensory approach to language acquisition.
- Communication with parents and current French, Spanish, or Chinese teachers. Tutors are required to write two reports each term. The midterm report is brief, and its purpose is to establish goals, while the end of term report is more comprehensive and informative. Reports are shared with parents, school deans and French, Spanish, and Chinese teachers.
- A willingness to learn the skills necessary to maintaining Google Drive folders for all students and to becoming proficient in working with Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Calendar.
- Tutors are required to check Canvas, the online grading system that Waterford utilizes, frequently for updates to students' academic progress, messages from teachers, and so forth.
- Attendance at monthly general tutor meetings and weekly foreign language tutor meetings
Qualified candidates should forward a résumé and letter of interest, by email or post, to
Office of the Head of School