Waterford School is Utah’s premier liberal arts, college preparatory private school for students in Preschool through High School. Student learning is Waterford School’s reason for being. Since its founding, the School has instilled habits of independent thought, critical thinking, responsibility, passionate learning, and service to others. A commitment to equity, inclusion, and belonging is essential to the Waterford mission. Waterford School’s liberal arts program provides a strong foundation, and the campus culture prepares students to pursue lives of meaning and purpose. Waterford delivers a world-class education distinguished by a rich curriculum, an outstanding faculty, a deep commitment to student growth, and a learning environment that is caring, nurturing, and inspiring.
Waterford School seeks a Director of Special Events & Family Engagement to report to the Director of Advancement. The Waterford School Advancement Office has a mission to broaden and deepen Waterford’s culture of philanthropy. Working as part of a collaborative and collegial team, the Director of Special Events & Family Engagement works closely with the Director of Advancement and other administrators in leading community engagement for the School with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality. This position represents the School among community members, peer schools, and professional organizations. The ideal candidate will coordinate and strategize effectively with all School constituents and will have a proven track record of events management, volunteer management, and advancement know-how. They will have direct responsibility for community engagement that includes; event planning, volunteer management, a yearlong celebration plan for the School’s 40th Anniversary. The Director of Special Events & Family Engagement’s responsibilities may include other responsibilities not defined in this job description, as beneficial to the Advancement Office and Waterford School.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Start date is anticipated as Fall 2021.
- Own the vision, execution, evaluation, and follow-up for key community events, including Opening Family Brunch, New Parent Breakfast, Senior Class Parent Breakfast, Grandparent and Parent Visiting Days, Alumni Socials, Biennial Founders Gala, Spring Country Fair/BBQ, Senior Class Alumni Lunch, Commencement, Leadership Level Donor Stewardship Dinners, Campaign Salon Events, and other community events.
- In a highly collaborative nature, partner with the Operations Team to ensure proper preparation, execution, calendaring, and take-down of each event.
- In collaboration with Advancement colleagues and the Marketing & Communications Office, develop event invitations, volunteer communications, and other communications pieces to increase community engagement across constituent groups.
- Lead negotiations for event space contracts, book event space, arrange food and beverage, rental contracts, order supplies and audio/visual equipment, order event materials, and ensure appropriate décor to meet the brand standards of Waterford School.
- Provide event plans and regular updates to the Director of Advancement and Head of School.
- Identify and improve inefficiencies in the current event process, implementing guidelines that will increase community engagement across all constituent groups.
- Ensure accurate and timely calendaring of key events on the master School calendar.
- Work to create a culture of RSVP to track attendance in RaisersEdge/NXT in order to provide analysis and reporting around constituent engagement.
- Partner with the Business Office to prepare budgets and provide periodic progress reports for each key event, tracking event finances including check requests, invoicing, and reporting.
- Work cohesively with other members of Advancement, Operations, Marketing & Communications, Parents Association, and Administration teams to prioritize, plan and execute across a diverse calendar of external events.
Waterford Community Engagement:
- Manage many aspects of volunteerism at Waterford School, including collaboration with various leaders across the School and the Parent Association Executive Committee.
- Understand the School’s current foundation of philanthropic support through financial and volunteer contributions, its potential, and the importance of positive engagement across constituent groups.
- In partnership with colleagues in the Advancement Office, strategically plan ways to engage each constituent group including; parents, alumni, parents of alumni, and grandparents.
- Work closely with the Director of Advancement and the Director of the Waterford Fund to build and maintain an annual fundraising strategy driven by broad constituent engagement.
- Track community engagement in RaisersEdge/NXT CRM in order to provide constituent engagement analysis and reporting.
- Strong commitment to Waterford School educational philosophy, mission, vision, and core values, and to Sandy/Salt Lake City communities.
- Familiarity with the culture of independent schools.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of 4+ years experience; nonprofit event planning, volunteer management, or directly relevant experience. Front-line customer service is a plus.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to find clarity in ambiguous situations to accomplish tasks.
- Strong computer skills. MS Office, with Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge experience, preferred.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to work autonomously, while also being an accountable team member.
- Creativity, strong attention to detail, and diplomacy.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple priorities, take initiative, and work under tight deadlines.
- Willingness to work evenings/weekends as required.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and ability to work in a changing environment.
The successful candidate will be able to develop a healthy rapport with families, work collaboratively with colleagues and will embrace Waterford School’s mission, vision, and values.
The Waterford campus is set on 41 acres at the foot of Utah’s Wasatch Mountains, one of North America’s premier outdoor and recreational areas. The school offers an outstanding working environment. The atmosphere is collegial; both families and faculty show a genuine commitment to learning. Benefits include medical, dental, 403(b).
For more information about the school, please go to www.waterfordschool.org.
Qualified candidates should forward a résumé and letter of interest, by email, or fax, to email@example.com. Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line.