Waterford School is Utah’s premier liberal arts, college preparatory private school for students in Preschool through High School. Student learning is Waterford School’s reason for being. Since its founding, the School has instilled habits of independent thought, critical thinking, responsibility, passionate learning, and service to others. A commitment to equity, inclusion, and belonging is essential to the Waterford mission. Waterford School’s liberal arts program provides a strong foundation, and the campus culture prepares students to pursue lives of meaning and purpose. Waterford delivers a world-class education distinguished by a rich curriculum, an outstanding faculty, a deep commitment to student growth, and a learning environment that is caring, nurturing, and inspiring.
Waterford School seeks a Director of Major Gifts within the School’s Advancement Officer to report to the Director of Advancement. The Waterford School Advancement Office helps broaden and deepen Waterford’s culture of philanthropy. Working as part of a collaborative and collegial team, the Director of Major Gifts works closely with the Director of Advancement in executing advancement functions of the School with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality. This position represents the School among community members, peer schools, and professional organizations. The ideal candidate will coordinate and strategize effectively with all constituents of the School, and will have a proven track record of advancement work, with specific major gift experience. They will have direct responsibility for major gift solicitation for both campaign gifts made over a five-year period and annual fund gifts. They will ensure proper donor qualification, cultivation, briefing, and solicitation, with a goal to increase campaign participation of major donors. They will also be responsible for coordinating prospect management with the Director of Advancement. As a frontline fundraiser, they will be expected to be a visible ambassador of Waterford School, working closely with the Director of Advancement, the Campaign Steering Committee, and Head of School to advance the school’s mission and strategic goals. The role may include other responsibilities not defined in this job description, as beneficial to the Advancement Office and Waterford School.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Start date is anticipated as Fall 2021.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major gift donors for both campaign giving and annual giving.
- Understand the School’s current foundation of financial support, its potential, and the funding requirements of all segments of the school.
- Work closely with the Director of Advancement to develop and implement strategies to identify, qualify, cultivate, and solicit major gift prospects with the capacity to make major commitments over a five-year period.
- Secure major gifts funding for endowment, capital projects, key programs, and special projects.
- Actively manage a prospect portfolio of prospective major gift donors and complete an average of 12 personal contacts each month.
- Recruit, train, and support campaign volunteer leadership including the Campaign Steering Committee.
- Work closely with the Director of Advancement and the Director of the Waterford Fund & Alumni Relations to ensure collaborative prospect management.
- Prepare written materials, including correspondence, solicitation and proposal materials, acknowledgements, regular communications, and moves management reports.
- Assist in strategizing and implementing campaign cultivation and recognition events.
- Identify and implement meaningful stewardship opportunities for committed campaign donors.
- Regularly monitor and review the campaign progress and assist the Director of Advancement with the production of campaign reporting.
- Assist the Director of Advancement in expanding the campaign donor base; identify promising grant/funding opportunities and assist in the application process.
- Attend a variety of school events, both during the school day and after hours in order to become knowledgeable about school programs, culture, and constituencies.
- Maximize knowledge of the School’s database to ensure strategic use of Raiser’s Edge NXT.
- Participate in many school events and all events planned by the Advancement office.
- Function as an active, collaborative, and contributing member of the School’s creative and donor-centric Advancement Team.
- Strong commitment to Waterford School educational philosophy, mission, vision, and core values, and to Sandy/Salt Lake City communities.
- Familiarity with the culture of independent schools.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of 3 years experience; nonprofit and fundraising or marketing experience a plus.
- Strong computer skills. MS Office, with Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge experience, preferred.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to work autonomously, while also being an accountable team member.
- Creativity, strong attention to detail, and diplomacy.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple priorities, take initiative, and work under tight deadlines.
- Willingness to work evenings/weekends as required.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and ability to work in a changing environment.
The successful candidate will be able to develop a healthy rapport with families, work collaboratively with colleagues and will embrace Waterford School’s mission, vision, and values.
The Waterford campus is set on 41 acres at the foot of Utah’s Wasatch Mountains, one of North America’s premier outdoor and recreational areas. The school offers an outstanding working environment. The atmosphere is collegial; both families and faculty show a genuine commitment to learning. Benefits include medical, dental, 403(b).
For more information about the school, please go to www.waterfordschool.org.
Qualified candidates should forward a résumé and letter of interest, by email, or fax, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line.