Waterford School is Utah’s premier liberal arts, college preparatory private school for students in Preschool through High School. Student learning is Waterford School’s reason for being. Since its founding, the School has instilled habits of independent thought, critical thinking, responsibility, passionate learning, and service to others. A commitment to equity, inclusion, and belonging is essential to the Waterford mission. Waterford School’s liberal arts program provides a strong foundation, and the campus culture prepares students to pursue lives of meaning and purpose. Waterford delivers a world-class education distinguished by a rich curriculum, an outstanding faculty, a deep commitment to student growth, and a learning environment that is caring, nurturing, and inspiring.
Waterford School is currently recruiting a Director of Development. Leading and mentoring a development staff of four direct reports, the Director of Development will plan and implement the school’s comprehensive giving programs and build strategy to deepen and broaden the culture of philanthropy at Waterford as the school completes a major capital campaign. The Director reports directly to the Assistant Head of School for Enrollment & Institutional Advancement. The Director will be able to develop a healthy rapport with Waterford families, work collaboratively with colleagues, and embrace and be a passionate spokesperson for Waterford’s vision, mission, and core values.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties Include:
- Partner with the Head of School & Assistant Head for Enrollment & Institutional Advancement to develop and execute a plan for the cultivation and solicitation of prospective donors, and the stewardship of donors of annual, major, and planned gifts, with specialized plans for leadership prospects and donors
- Execute forward-thinking, goal-driven development plans and programs that optimally grow the annual fund, major gifts, endowment, and capital campaigns
- Engage in front-line fundraising and personally solicit major donors through outreach and a strategic vision for cultivation, solicitation, and stewarding positive relationships with all school stakeholders
- Work closely and actively with the Director of Marketing and Communications to strategically plan and execute Development Office initiatives, campaigns, and communications
- Provide oversight for the active capital campaign and support the interim CCS Major Gifts Consultant in major gift fundraising
- Provide oversight and actively support the Director of the Waterford Fund in achieving the annual fund goals and benchmarks
- Provide oversight for the parent volunteer engagement program and actively support the Director of Special Events & Parent Engagement
- Manage an active planned giving program
- Develop and maintain a highly collaborative relationship with the Head, Assistant Head for Enrollment & Institutional Advancement, Board leadership, and individual board members, supporting them in their fundraising responsibilities and accompanying them on donor visits when appropriate
- Provide support to the Assistant Head for Enrollment & Institutional Advancement in reporting to the Board Institutional Advancement and Governance Committees
- Strengthen relationships with the School’s alumni and continuously improve alumni programming, working closely with the Director of Alumni Relations
- Oversee the maintenance and integrity of data within the development database
- Oversee processing of all gifts, provide receipts and letters of appreciation, and maintain records of donations for financial and historical reporting
- Provide oversight and set direction for the Development Office staff, administer regular performance feedback, and support the professional growth of each team member in the Development Office which includes:
- Director of Waterford Fund & Alumni Relations
- Director of Special Events & Parent Engagement
- Major Gifts Officer (to be appointed)
- Development Office Coordinator
- Perform other duties assigned by the Head of School and Assistant Head for Enrollment & Institutional Advancement
Qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Proven 5-10 years of successful nonprofit fundraising experience – with a focus on major gifts, including individuals, foundations and/or corporations
- Proven experience in a campaign environment preferred
- Proven experience working with, and supporting volunteer and board committees
- Proven experience managing and motivating staff
- Agility, influence, negotiation, and strong judgment and decision-making skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Detail-oriented, organized, and self-motivated
- Some travel and weekend/evening work required
- Competitive salary commensurate with education and experience
The Waterford campus is set on 41 acres at the foot of Utah’s Wasatch Mountains, one of North America’s premier outdoor and recreational areas. The school offers an outstanding working environment. The atmosphere is collegial; both families and faculty show a genuine commitment to learning. Benefits include medical, dental, 403(b).
For more information about the school, please go to www.waterfordschool.org.
Qualified candidates should forward a résumé and letter of interest, by email, or fax, to email@example.com. Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line.