Waterford School is Utah’s premier liberal arts college preparatory independent school for students in preschool through high school. Student learning is Waterford School’s reason for being. Since its founding, the School has instilled habits of independent thought, critical thinking, responsibility, passionate learning, and service to others. A commitment to equity, inclusion, and belonging is essential to the Waterford mission. Waterford School’s liberal arts program provides a strong foundation, and the campus culture prepares students to pursue lives of meaning and purpose. Waterford delivers a world-class education distinguished by a rich curriculum, an outstanding faculty, a deep commitment to student growth, and a learning environment that is caring, nurturing, and inspiring.
Waterford School is currently recruiting an Assistant Director of College Counseling who will serve on a team of three full-time dedicated college counselors and report to the Director of College Counseling. The Assistant Director of College Counseling will work individually with a caseload of Juniors and Seniors and their family members through the college search, list-building, and application process, will deliver a thoughtful college counseling curriculum to students and families, will keep current with trends in college counseling, will connect with school faculty, higher education representatives, and school alumni, will present and explain college information to individual families and large and small groups of students and family members. The Assistant Director will be able to develop a healthy rapport with Waterford students and families, work collaboratively with colleagues, and embrace Waterford’s vision, mission, and core values.
Primary responsibilities and duties:
- Counsel and assist students and families individually in a caseload of 25-35 Juniors and Seniors as they move through the college research, application and selection process.
- Communicate resources and information to 9th and 10th grade students and families
- Maintain Canvas college counseling courses and oversee curriculum for two upper school classes.
- Present to parents and students, individually and in groups
- Host college admissions representatives to our campus in the fall trimester
- Write thoughtful and incisive counselor recommendations
- Maintain and disseminate information about the SAT, ACT, and AP exams
- Keep up to date on college admissions trends and issues
- Attend professional development events and participate in professional organizations such as NACAC (National Association of College Admission Counselors), RMACAC (Rocky Mountain ACAC), and ACCIS (Association of College Counselors at Independent Schools).
- Further professional development by visiting campuses and attending conferences.
Qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s, counseling, or educational certificate preferred
- Four+ years’ experience preferred working with students through the college application process as a high school college counselor or independent consultant
- Strong knowledge of the college admissions landscape and a pulse on shifting trends
- Knowledge of a wide range of colleges, universities, and summer programs
- Strong interpersonal skills, and a love of working with teenagers
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Detail-oriented, organized, and self-motivated and able to meet deadlines and assist students in meeting their deadlines
- High ethical standards
- Competitive salary commensurate with education and experience.
- 10 month contract
The Waterford campus is set on 43 acres at the foot of Utah's Wasatch Mountains, one of North America’s premier outdoor and recreational areas. The school offers an outstanding working environment. The atmosphere is collegial; both families and faculty show a genuine commitment to learning. Benefits include medical, dental, 403(b).
Please contact Sari Rauscher email@example.com with a cover letter and resume attached as PDF with your name in the title, and two references. Write “College Counseling position” in the subject line.
Email or call 801-816-2248 with questions.