Middle School/ Upper School Math Tutor
Math tutoring involves one-on-one tutoring with students in Waterford Middle School and Waterford Upper School. Tutoring sessions usually occur two times per week. Sessions are 50-60 minutes, and take place both during school and after school hours Monday through Friday. The tutoring position includes the following expectations:
- Upper level mathematics skills. Tutors are required to take a competency test that will determine level of math tutoring from the listed course: Pre-Algebra, Algebra, Geometry, Algebra 2, Precalculus, Trigonometry, Calculus, and Statistics.
- Daily lesson plans that focus on individual student needs. Plans include building foundational skills outlined by student evaluation as well as review of current class material to be determined by curriculum guides. The tutor must establish a balance between building foundational skills and teaching methods to support current curriculum needs in order to help students find success in math. Clearly, effective tutoring is not just supporting current homework assignments, but teaching so that the student can eventually find independent success with math skills in place.
- Communication with students’ parents and current math teacher. Tutors are required to write two reports each term. The midterm report is brief, and its purpose is to establish goals, while the end of term report is more comprehensive and informative. Reports are shared with parents, school deans and math teachers.
- A willingness to learn the skills necessary to maintaining Google Drive folders for all students and to becoming proficient in working with Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Calendar.
- Tutors are required to check Canvas, the online grading system that Waterford utilizes, frequently for updates to students' academic progress, messages from teachers, and so forth.
- Attendance at weekly tutor meetings
- Training in the fall by the Math Department Head
Qualified candidates should forward a resume and letter of interest, by email to:
Executive Assistant, Office of the Head of School
The Waterford School
1480 E. 9400 South
Sandy, UT 84093