Lower School Math Tutor Job
Math tutoring involves one-on-one tutoring with students in Waterford Lower School. Tutoring sessions usually occur two times per week. Sessions are 45-60 minutes, and take place both during school and after school hours Monday through Friday. The tutoring position includes the following expectations:
- Previous experience with elementary age students
- Daily lesson plans that focus on individual student needs. Plans include building foundational skills outlined by student evaluation as well as review of current class material to be determined by curriculum guides, classroom math materials, and teacher discussions. The tutor must establish a balance between building foundational skills and teaching methods to support current curriculum needs in order to help students find success in math. Clearly, effective tutoring is not just supporting current homework assignments, but teaching so that the student can eventually find independent success with math skills in place.
- Communication with students’ parents and current homeroom teachers. Tutors are required to write two reports each term. The midterm report is brief, and its purpose is to establish goals, while the end of term report is more comprehensive and informative. Reports are shared with parents, the Lower School Director, and homeroom teacher.
- A willingness to learn the skills necessary to maintaining Google Drive folders for all students and to becoming proficient in working with Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Calendar.
- Attendance at weekly tutor meetings
- Training in the fall by the Math Department Head
Qualified candidates should forward a resume and letter of interest, by email to:
Executive Assistant, Office of the Head of School
The Waterford School
1480 E. 9400 South
Sandy, UT 84093